2/16 Commerce Avenue
Warana, QLD, 4575
2/16 Commerce Avenue
Warana, QLD, 4575
If you would like to find out more about The Maker Space and how we might be able to help you - simply fill in this form and we will get back to you
FIND OUT A LITTLE MORE ABOUT US & HOW IT ALL STARTED...
The Maker Space has been officially operating since July 2017. Dominic Vrolijks – the founder of The Maker Space has over 20 years trade experience and has been working in the R & D and product development space for the past 15 years. His passion for innovation, technology and his ability to turn a concept into a tangible item is evident in the range of products he has helped to manufacture.
The Maker Space was started by Dominic out of frustration trying to get suppliers to work on his R&D projects. He realised that companies that provide contract machining and fabrication find it difficult to work on R&D projects because they are disconnected from the design process. By integrating the prototype manufacturing into the design process delivers better design solutions. There was a demand for this on the Coast and companies were sourcing from outside the region. It gives inventors a place to help to realise a dream without having to be able to manufacture the product themselves and it gives manufacturers and engineers a service to help prototype new R & D projects without the expense of setting up their own workshops.
We have invested over $150K into our space so far and we keep on investing in new equipment as the months roll on. It is important to us to have the latest technology to help our members and clients get the best products from our facility.
Collaboration with the University of the Sunshine Coast (USC) and the USC Innovation Centre, as well as Sunshine Coast Council, local businesses and entrepreneurs gave us the confidence to open the Maker Space. The Sunshine Coast Region has a vibrant digital ecosystem that attracts international attention, and the Sunshine Coast Maker Space allows locals to capitalize on physical opportunities in the digital economy.
Since opening we have provided significant support for local entrepreneurs, notably;
1. Helping Gallery Systems, a local manufacturing company increase their production capacity for a best selling product to better meet market demand, and increase confidence and reliability in a critical component.
2. Underpin the viability of locally developing a new x-ray testing machine for BAMS, which assisted in the award of a $100,000 Ignite Ideas Fund grant from Advance Queensland. Being able to demonstrate the capacity to create this prototype and kick off manufacturing locally is a key requirement of this grant program.
3. Fast turnaround machining for custom shutters at new Evolution Early Learning Mooloolaba. A tight contract schedule needed an innovative approach to machining 1200 sets of components for an articulated shutter system. In the absence of a commercially available system, several members collaborated on delivering the final solution, on time and on budget.
4. Upturning Learning run maker camps for children with a focus on sustainability, technology and recycling. They joined the Maker Space to build a Plastic Recycling Shredder, to help teach children new ways to reuse plastic.
- TOM:QLD Makerthon 2017 - 1st Place Winning Team
- Chancellor State College - Collab Sponsorship with Innovation Centre of Robotics Team
- Mountain Creek High - Minor Sponsorship of Robotics Team
- Mountain Creek Primary School - Donation of 3D Printer & training & support and in class presentations.
- Coolum High School - Participation in Industry Reference Group, Hosting of School Based Apprentice.
- USC - Careers Presentation to 1st year Engineering Students.
- Silicon Coast Facebook Group - Active Community Member
- Noosa Alive Festival - Support for Exhibiting Artists.
- GovHack 2018 - Workshop Support for Participating Team.
- Startup Weekend Sunshine Coast 2019 - Popup Maker Space & Mentor-ship.
- QODE 2019 - Representing the Sunshine Coast Region for SCRIPT & Sunshine Coast Council.
- Startup Catalyst Maker Mission 2019 - Trade Mission to San Francisco & Maker Faire Bay Area.